Several weeks ago I had an issue with a plugin that was working with the TSAK blog. It was creating some problems and I removed it. When it was removed I discovered over the next week that it also resulted in a lot of blog subscribers being affected. Their email address were deleted from the data base. As a result, they stopped getting blog updates.
While it’s a minor pain in the neck, it’s easily resolved. Simply Re-subscribe to the blog. There’s a new link in the right corner of the blog to do just that. It assures that you’ll receive notifications when a new blog post is available.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a work in progress and is most likely to stay that way!