Tag Archives: Test

FrogLube Test Update 1.14.16

Time for a FrogLube Test update.  It’s been 4 weeks since I treated a Queen Country Cousin with a D2 blade and left it outside on my picnic table.


December 14, 2015
December 14, 2015

Per the FrogLube instructions, I degreased the blade and removed all of the original petroleum based lubes, warmed the knife slightly with a hair dryer and applied a single coat of FrogLube.  Since I left it outside, we’ve had temps above freezing, below zero, fog, snow, sunshine and everything in between.  I checked it out 2 weeks ago to see if there were any signs of rust or corrosion and wiped the blade off with my fingers.

January 7, 2016
December 30, 2015

Everything looked good so I laid it back in the snow and left it there for 2 more weeks.  This morning, I ‘dug’ it out and here’s what it looks like.

It's in there somewhere
It’s in there somewhere
January 14, 2016
January 14, 2016
Frozen in pretty solid
Frozen in pretty solid

And here’s what it looks like after a month in the elements.  Remember, you’re looking at a D2 Carbon steel blade, not a stainless steel.  It’s been laying in about as damp an environment as you can imagine.

After a month in the snow.
After a month in the snow.




There was a bit of light staining on the tang where it appears I didn’t get any lube and a spot at the base of the blade just above the grind and to the right of the tang stamp.


Most of the spot rubbed off with just finger pressure as did most of the staining near the pivot.


When I wipe down the blade with my fingers, I can still feel the presence of the FrogLube.  It’s not a greasy or oily feel, but more like a metal surface that’s been waxed.

Being a long time fan of D2 steel, the combination of the steel with a treatment of FrogLube seems to be a pretty tough combination to beat for protection.  I was already convinced of the FrogLube cleaning and lube properties, and this seems to prove its claim as an effective all around CLP.

I think it was John and/or Syd made comments that it seemed a bit expensive until they realized how little you used.   Dave and I discussed the cost as well and we agreed for the amount used, it’s a bargain.  The knife pictured was treated with a grand total of 2 drops of the liquid.  I’m not sharp enough to  break down the actual cost to treat a single knife, but it’s pretty darned cheap considering the amount used and the results.

The Trestle Pine Buddy I use (1095 blade) got the FrogLube treatment but I haven’t used the knife recently.  That’s my camping knife and I’m anxious to see how the FrogLube holds up after a couple days in the outdoors, cutting, cleaning fish and constant moisture exposure.  The real test of any protectant is how well it’ll continue to protect after the blade is actually used for extensive cutting.  For now, I’m impressed.

You know what…. let’s throw it back out in the snow a little longer with the blade partially opened.  Just for the record, no more FrogLube, I wiped the knife down with both a dry cloth and my fingers.

1.14.16  Back in the Snow!
1.14.16 Back in the Snow!

FrogLube Test Update

Not sure how many of you remember these pictures of the start of the FrogLube Test from December 14, 1015.  …..  This is a much abused Queen Country Cousin that’s been used hard and put away wet more then a few times.  The blade steel is D2 which I’ll admit is more stain/rust resistant than 1095, but none the less, will rust.

DSC_0637 DSC_0636 DSC_0635

I put this well used EDC knife outside in the edge of my picnic table on December 14, 2015 after I’d treated it with FrogLube.  Per the recommendations, I cleaned the blade with a degreaser, warmed the blade and applied a very light coat of the FrogLube allowing it to dry for about 1/2 hour before leaving it outside. That was nearly 2 weeks ago.

In the mean time, we’ve had rain, snow, fog, warm, cold, sun, clouds and  everything in between for weather.  This morning I decided it was time to see how much damage (if any had occurred).


Three or four times while the knife was outside, I wiped the blades with my fingers to see if you could still feel the presents of any lube on the blade.  While the blade wasn’t oily, the blade had a smooth, slick feel to it like it had been waxed.

Here’s what it looks like today.

DSC_0791 DSC_0790

There’s still a smooth, dry waxed feeling on the blade and no sign of any rust or staining on the blade.  The only sign of any metal deterioration is behind the tang at the pivot, which I didn’t lube.  All I did was wipe down the exposed blade.


While I’ll admit this FrogLube Test isn’t scientific nor was a control of any kind used for comparison, I’m pretty impressed.  Two weeks stuck in a table top in the elements with no sign of rusting is pretty damned good in my estimation.

To continue the test, I’m going to lay it down on the table, in the snow and we’ll see how things look in a few more weeks or months.  I’m not going to reapply any more of the FrogLube and all I’ve done is wipe down the blade with a dry cloth.  In fact, I’m tempted to leave it out there until Spring just to see what happens.  At the very least, we’ll get to see just how tough Queen’s D2 is!

So here we go!  Let’s see what a little more time will do to things!!