Posted on 1 Comment

Customs is delaying overseas shipments

Just a heads up to my overseas customers regarding delivery times.  Whether it has anything to do with some of the terrorist activity or just a general slowdown in processing, I’ve seen some incredibly slow deliveries overseas.

In the last 10 days I had two customers in Germany have orders shipped on December 12 and December 19 that hadn’t received their orders as of 1/14/15.  Here’s an example of the most recent one that did arrive today.

Delivered GERMANY January 15, 2015 2:58 pm
Departed Philadelphia, UNITED STATES December 17, 2014 7:50 am
Arrived Chicago, UNITED STATES December 16, 2014 11:09 am
Processed Through Sort Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) December 16, 2014 3:28 am
Arrived at USPS Facility CHICAGO, IL 60666 December 16, 2014 12:11 am
Arrived at Sort Facility ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) December 16, 2014 12:11 am
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS December 13, 2014

They can get the package half way around the world in 3 days only to have it sit a few miles from it’s ultimate destination for nearly a month.  And I’m not just picking on Germany as I’ve had this happen in numerous destinations.  These two stand out since both shipped about the same date.  So many times a customer will ask how long it takes to get a shipment.  My stock reply is most overseas shipments run 7-10 days depending on the destination.  That being said, I’ve have deliveries run as long as 8 weeks.

It gets really frustrating on both sides of the equation as the customer is mad their order hasn’t arrived and of course it falls back on the merchant.  The Post Offices and Customs typically get a pass.  Thank god they’ve improved the overseas tracking.    In the past, once an overseas shipment hit the sorting facility in Chicago the tracking info used to just disappear like it hit a black hole.  For the past few months it’s improved immensely.

Anyway, regardless where in the world you might be, understand the merchant doesn’t have any control of your package once it slips in the slot at the local post office.  All I can say is I hope these types of delays don’t get anymore frequent then they already are.

1 thought on “Customs is delaying overseas shipments

1. My orders usually get to me in the UK in 7-14 days . The 7 day arrival is if the customs miss a package , if they catch it and they mostly do, then it’s the 14 day job. The order from the 9th of December arrived on the 2nd Jan I think , but I was expecting a delay so it wasn’t a problem. Just glad to be able to get the knives that I want over here.